Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dear Klal Yisrael,... | By: Zehava Akinadé

Dear כלל ישראל,

Due to certain events that are occurring in our community, I have taken it upon myself to write this letter. This is not solely a letter of complaint, but it is also a letter for the purpose of distributing valuable information and courtesies I feel are needed in our community today. Although satirical in nature, I do write with utmost sincerity. As a Nigerian-American Jew, or a Jew of color in our community, I feel there are some issues that I would personally like to address. I will not be addressing all of the issues, but at least a few to get the mind thinking and the good middos rolling.

First, I would like to address not only the issue of general politeness, but also of halacha. I understand that for some it is very interesting, or “unique,” to meet a Jew of color, but one must understand that it is rude and halachically unacceptable to personally interrogate with every Jew you meet. Furthermore, not every Jew of color is a convert, and even if they are, halachically speaking, you are in no way allowed to ask a convert (of color or otherwise), their story, their past, or anything that reminds them that they are a convert. Additionally, what makes one think that within 30 seconds of meeting someone, a convert would want to open up and tell you their whole life story? Why would they be comfortable revealing the fine details of what made them decide to convert, and how they became interested in Yiddishkeit to begin with, to someone they just met? It is especially rude to ask while your children are staring and pointing at this new person during davening as if they have never seen a person of color in their life before, while you try to have an allegedly deep conversation. This only adds to the awkwardness of the situation for the interrogated. Instead, it is perhaps better to reconsider how or if you have taught your children proper manners. Also, for some reason people think that it is a short, simple story. If it took someone their entire lifetime, thus far, to find their truth, why imply that it is a tale easily summed up in a three-minute story by putting them on the spot under very awkward circumstances?

Next, it appears most individuals assume that converts don’t know anything. If one takes time to think on this, it should really be a very simple realization: if one has an interest in something, especially a challenging all-encompassing life changing interest such as converting to Orthodox Judaism which takes years of learning, living, and studying subject by subject, halacha by halacha, where that person then has to go in front of an ultra-orthodox Beis Din (so there are no questions about if you are really Jewish or not). Given this, what makes one think a convert wouldn’t know even the basics? So next time you want to tell me that I should move to Israel because there are a lot of “my people” there and you and I can meet you at the Kotel which is “this big wall where lots of people daven, which means to pray”… You might want to save it. Because trust me, in my head I am thinking, you and I aren’t meeting anywhere. Not the Kotel, not the 770, not even the shwarma place down the street

The last on my list, and the biggest irritant for me so far, is after you have already come up to me and asked me “Excuse me? Are you Jewish? Are you a convert? Are you married?” all in less then 45 seconds, and then you tell me “I see, well I think I know a guy for you” all I can think of is “HOW THE HECK DO YOU KNOW?” What does that even mean, and by the way, what was your name again? Honestly, do you really think you are doing me a favor when you come up to me and say, “Hey I think I know someone for you, he’s black, and he’s religious…” and I say “Well, what else do you know about him? What does he do for a living? Where is he from? How old is he? Did he go to yeshivah? Who does he hold by?” and you have no idea and look at me like I’m insane. Then, maybe, just maybe, only knowing that he is black and religious doesn’t help, especially when you have no idea what I and probably what he is looking for. I mean let’s give an example. If you went up to a religious Ashkenazi girl and said, “Hey, I think I have a guy for you. He’s Ashkenazi, and he’s religious...” And that’s it. She is going to suggest that you should continue taking your medication regularly and don’t give up you day job to become a Shadchan. I understand their excitement at the idea that they were the one to set up this super ethnic hip Jewish couple. Oh, the novelty of it all. As if we probably don’t know each other already, being two out of the six black Jews in the neighborhood.


In the end, all I am really saying כלל ישראל, is that, we are all Jews. And as Jews we should be treated with the same respect and dignity as all other Jews, Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Chassidic, Litvish, Modern, Mizrachi, Yemenite, African, Bukharian, Asian, Hispanic, Muppet, Converts, Baal Teshuvah, FFB, it doesn’t matter. And the sooner we realize this, the closer we will be to bringing Moshiach. Unity of the Jewish people matters. Should we all continue to break down our personal mental barriers and continue to embrace the diversity that the Jewish people have to offer. Let us all stand strong together as a nation, for many other nations want to see our destruction chas v’shalom. Let us all grow in our ahavas yisroel and continue to give each other chizuk so that we may ALL merit to see the coming of Moshiach speedily in our days!


Forever yours,

Zehava Akinadé

עם ישראל חי

Note: All examples above have actually occurred in my life by seemingly well meaning people.



"Even if you are not fully committed to a Torah life, do something. Begin with a mitzvah — any mitzvah — its value will not be diminished by the fact that there are others that you are not prepared to do"
- The Lubavitcher Rebbe

8 comments:

  1. i can understand the irritation. marriage is a very personal thing and someone who instantly 'knows a match' can be frustrating.
    but, i must say:
    it bothers me when someone, convert or otherwise, chooses to 'air laundry' publicly. second, the deeper intention of 'i know a guy for you' is the deep desire to see one's soul destiny fulfilled with their bashert/zivug. perhaps you would consider seeing the underlying chesed here?
    i also do not like the term 'jew of color'. the jewish people are one. we should not subscribe to this whole other paradigm that defines the rest of the world. it is not our job or our reality; it only perpetuates separation and on a false basis. 'jewish' is a soul thing, not a physical thing.
    if you're a yid, you're yid. i don't care what you look like. you may bring a richness of your culture...from wherever. but you are a yid. period.
    again, i must say: i really am tired of jews from african/african american backgrounds writing public pieces criticizing the community.
    it is a lashon hara in a way.
    please re consider this...and if you must. write it in a place where only jews would read it.
    there are some african american jews who make a big deal of this on blogs etc and it is not constructive at all. why bring it? it does not help anything. although people who do it feel they have a duty to do so.
    newsflash: it's not haimish.
    i am sorry that you have had difficult moments and hope you find a community where you feel accepted completely.
    ahuva grey in jerusalem never writes such things. this is something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zehava, you make very valid and important points. It is necessary for most of us to hear tochacha of this nature from time-to-time. I only wish you had not chosen satire, which could open the piece up to criticism, and may give some people 'license' to reject the essence of your message, which I feel is appropriate. Thank you sharing our errors with us. May your message, and the tikkun midot which results, help improve our community and make us more worthy of a speedy Redemption.
    Scott Sobel of PiRo, LA, Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their is so much to say on this subject. I think we both have been through all of this. In fact for the most part when people tell me their is this beautiful women for me, it is you. And I will ask if she is the same color as myself and if she works at the local pizza place and they say yes, I smile and ask them if they think it would be possible for me not to know her? Then they step back and smile, then I smile at them. Then the conversation kind of runs off.

    But I will say this, though I hate when I am walking or eating or when I am learning Torah, and some curious human see's me and comes and wants to know my whole life story, and why I want to be Jewish. I pause and try to collect myself so I don't come off rude. I an the end see that me being black and dressing the way I dress and me being me, I see the glory of G-d in it, that I have the stupendous opportunity to share my all to some of the most beautiful people. I get to break the stereotypes and break down all the social walls. I get to on a daily basis share my love of G-d and Torah and anything else I want to talk about, and people listen to me, they respect me for my wanting to do this. I talk to atheist everyday at school, and I have earned their respect and love. Because they have learned that I am not a puppet G-d fearing person who is just looking for some spiritual fix, but really living for truth, and truth only. I think Jews of color are the ones who will bring Moshiach. Because we have the gift to break the walls of difference and show peace to each noisy person who looks at you in perplexity and the person who just has to ask why, and you can tell them, and they tell you they are Jewish and they are not frum, but from seeing you they are inspired to come back to Frumkite. Or the women who is in Barnes and Noble and is going through hell and just needs someone to talk to, and they tell you they are Jewish and they need help, but none of the Shuls can help her get over their pain. So you help, and it works.

    I have so many examples of people that I have met that just open up to me just because I am DIFFERENT FROM THE NORMAL JEWS THEY HAVE LIVED WITH OR SEEN THEIR WHOLE LIVES, AND THAT I BROUGHT THEM A SMILE, AND SOME CURIOSITY ABOUT G-D AND THE BIBLE AND LIVING HOLY. It is a opportunity that I live for even if it drives me crazy. Just my long two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous:
    Perhaps you missed the end of my article, or didn't read the whole thing. I said that we are all one, and Jewish unity is important, no matter were you are from, we are all Jewish. And I do think that it is very important to address these matters, especially to feel comfortable to do it within our own community. I mean I shouldn't have to walk in shul and hear some kid call me a bad yiddish word just because of my skin. Do you know how degrading that is, to have people stare and have preconceived ideas about me just because of my colour? I also noted that all of these things came from good intentions but perhaps people should think first before they speak or act. And I am pretty sure this is a mostly jewish blog who's subtitle is "A Social Commentary, Social Awareness, Social Criticism Blog" So I don't know where else is better to address the jewish people on such a matter. And clearly you are sick of public outcries to the jewish people on the matter, but do you think we have reached enough people to be able to walk into a shul and daven in peace without feeling alienated amongst our own people? And NEWSFLASH: Ahuvah Grey did touch on the subject in her book, so maybe you should re-read the book perhaps? But so you know I am open to new ideas, if you have a better idea on how to inform and educate other jews about have good middot and not alienating the convert, the baal teshuvah, etc.. then let me know.


    Anyways, this blog wasn't to condemn anyone or anything, it was just a point of view and some experiences that I have had in our community. Overall I love my community,so, all we need to do is tweak a few things and get ready for Moshiach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELL DONE. THANKS FOR BRINGING TO MY/OUR ATTENTION NUMEROUS IMPORTANT ISSUES. I ESPECIALLY ENJOY THE LAST FULL PARAGRAPH RE: THE NEED AND IMPORTANCE OF ACHDUT AND AHAVAT CHINAM.

    I THANK YOU, ZAHAVA,

    DAN ALTSHULER

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have read ahuva, i know ahuva. i have read many blogs and pieces about jewish returning souls from african/african american backgrounds.

    if in shul someone says a bad word to you, you should go up to them or their parents and communicate. you should not let it go unaddressed.

    it is unfortunate that there are people who don't understand or readily accept those who have a different physical appearance. now, here's the big point:

    when you or others write pieces like this you take a magnifying glass to a very small minority of our people, blow it out of proportion and indict us as a whole. it is subtle, but that's what comes accross.

    and,frankly, i've had it.

    you are a jew. be with the jewish people. you are one of us. don't castigate the klal.

    it says that before one prays you take upon yourself vayikra 19:18, love your fellow as yourself. you must contemplate what this truly means for you and all of us.

    moshaich will come sooner if we have love of our fellow jew. magnifying your one personal negative experience to the world implying that it is a big problem and thus implicating many jews is terrible.

    i just pray that people who write these kinds of things will stop it. i am so tired of seeing it. yes, ahuva addresses it, but do you see how, and to what proportion?

    i have heard her speak many times. if she does address it, she understands context and proportion.

    please take a lesson from her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonymous, This has been giong on for years. sorry the truth hurts. we do need to adress this. we all ready look bad in the eyes of other nations. I am a white jew. i get asked horrible questions to. I believe Zahava is very brave to talk about this. Who says she doesnt love her fellow jews? you need to take upon yourself the halacha of not publicley embaress somone. since you seem to know so many laws of Torah. Poeple like you who cant handle the truth cause sholom in the comunity cause we cant openly talk about topics that need to change. This is also why mashiach hasn't come yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly. I talk about lots of things. this blog is specifically for A Social Commentary, Social Awareness, Social Criticism Blog, thats what it is titled. if you do know want to see things about awareness in our community i suggest you read a different blog. and once again, did you read my whole piece? did you read the last paragraph? I am not understanding what you don't understand. And trust me a try to address the issue when it arises, but I also do not want to embarrass people. and I am not saying I'm not a Jew or I try to separate myself from the Jewish people. I AM SAYING THE EXACT OPPOSITE. and it's not a small minority. there are like roughly over 10,000 african american jews in the united states alone. Is that to small to write a blog about? and yes this is what I am saying, as you have quoted in vayikra 19:18. love your fellow jew as you love yourself.. dont alienate them, treat them like you would want to be treated. That's exactly what I wrote. maybe you should re-read. And I talk about many topics so I don't need to take a lesson from Ahuva. We all have different stories and lives and if I am asked to write a piece on social awareness in our community, that's what I am going to do.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete