Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bird On a Wire

If you walked by a hurt bird, what would you do? Would you think this is out of your area of expertise or would you try to help it?

My question does not refer to any rules you've been taught about what you should or should not do. And, yes, I suppose you can run to a Rabbi or a teacher and ask his or her opinion, by which time the bird would surely be dead ... my question refers to what would your gut instinct tell you to do?

Would you find someone who could help it or would you shake your head in pity but shrug your shoulders saying it's just a bird and this is part of nature's cruelty?

Would you try to simply avoid the sorry sight by turning your head away and convincing yourself there is nothing that can be done and there is no way you're taking responsibility for this wild creature? Besides ... there are bigger problems you need to worry about in this world ...

I'd like to urge you to have compassion over G-D's creatures. I'd like to suggest that if you walk in a path and stumble upon a hurt animal, G-D put YOU on that path for a reason!
And I'd like to bring to your awareness that there are wonderful organizations such as the Humane Society and Animal Control that you can call explaining the situation and your whereabouts and they will come and get the animal to a vet. immediately, w/o charging you a penny.

Here's my story:

While taking an afternoon walk with a friend, we walked by a bird who was struggling to fly. It fluttered its wings and raised its little body up to 5' or so, but then dropped back down on the ground, helpless. My friend noticed but kept on walking away, saying: "poor birdie".
I stopped. "we have to help it" I told her.
She smirked. What could we do?!
We called the security guard on site and my friend ordered him to guide the bird behind the bushes to get it away from on coming cars. We continued on our walk but the thought of a helpless bird behind the bushes was unsettling to me.
"It could get eaten by a hawk or an eagle" I told her.
She smirked again. "I haven't seen hawks or eagles here for a while."
Still walking away from the scene of the crime, I told her, "or a CAT! it could get eaten by a cat and the bird can't defend itself".
My friend gave me a sympathy look and said it would be better if I don't think about it and that there is no way we're taking the bird to a vet. since her credit card was full. I asked if there was anything equivalent to a community hospital for people, but for animals. She paused and said yes! The Humane Society...
"but YOU call them" she said, still with a smirk on her face.
Seeing as my friend was pretty much laughing at me for wanting to get the hurt bird to safety, I was sure the people at the Humane society would laugh at me as well. "a hurt bird?" I imagined them saying, "we have here hurt cats and dogs! What will we do with a bird!? Ha Ha Ha!" But it was nothing like that ... once I googled the humane society and found some numbers to call. I explained the situation and the response was as compassionate as can be.
After giving them a description of the bird and what it had hurt and the whereabouts of our location, they said: "This is considered an emergency, we'll be there right away!"
A truck pulled up within 10-15 minutes, picked up the bird and the driver assured me he was on his way to a veterinarian.
My friend's eyes grew wide with amazement and disbelief ...
I was relieved, "NOW we can continue our walk." I told her ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim sainthood and I must admit it felt good proving my friend wrong ... but mostly it felt great knowing that I did something ... anything ... to help the situation G-D presented me with at that moment.

By: Ilana Rogel


3 comments:

  1. This account reminds me of a story in the Talmud that speaks about one of the greatest Sages of Israel, Rabbi Yehudah HaNasi, who was the redactor of the Mishna around 180 C.E. He suffered from a particularly uncomfortable physical disorder for about 12 years as a result of not showing a level of animal-compassion commensurate with his lofty spiritual madrega. It wasn't until he witnessed and gently rebuked his housekeeper, who had taken a broom to shoo away a stray cat from his home, that he finally received relief from the nagging, relentless pain.

    If nothing else, we should learn that "His mercy is over all His creations!" and we just have to emulate His ways, as you did Ilana. Such kind acts are never insignificant in God's eyes.

    Perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind word and the inspiring Talmud story, Rabbi!

    ReplyDelete